Veterans Benefits

Veterans Services – Room A115

Veteran’s Education Benefits

Are you waiting for VA Education Benefits? If so, please see this announcement.

Veterans and students eligible for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits must complete the College’s Application Procedures for degree or certificate students. In addition, such students must contact the College VA Representative at (860) 215-9235, to request the VA’s application form or go to the VA web site and fill out an application on line. Those students who have served on active duty must also submit copies of their separation papers (DD214). Reservists eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606 or 1607) must contact the College VA Representative and supply the Notice of Basic Eligibility form in order to file for benefits. Connecticut tuition waiver may apply to some veterans.

Click on the links below to view the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs Veteran’s Benefits and Services or the CT Department of Higher Education Veterans Benefits website.

Department of Veterans Affairs (

CT Department of Higher Education

Veterans Benefits

Veterans Resources

All students who will use VA benefits must be enrolled at Three Rivers as degree or certificate-seeking students. New students must have military and civilian education evaluated by the College. Since Veterans Administration benefits cover only courses which do not replicate previously gained credit, students receiving VA benefits are advised to have their official military transcript and/or educational transcripts for an evaluation of Military Learning and/or transfer credits sent to the College. Students are encouraged to register early for classes. Those who have complied with processing procedures (including an updated plan of study or degree audit) will have their benefits processed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Married veterans who are eligible for Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits and have remaining entitlement for old GI Bill (Chapter 34) benefits must have their marriage certificate and birth certificates of any children certified by either the Veterans Administration or the College VA Representative when applying for educational benefits.

The CT Tuition Waiver is eligible for veterans who were honorably discharged or released under honorable conditions from active service in the armed forces, served honorably for 90 or more consecutive days in time of war, and are domiciled in CT at time of registration. For more information and application for tuition waiver, contact the VA Representative, (860) 215-9235, at the College.

National Guard Members – all active members of CT army or air national guard, irrespective of residency or domicile, must apply for the National Guard tuition waiver with their unit. If not eligible through their unit, they may contact the Veterans Administrator of the College to find out if they are eligible for the CT tuition waiver.

Eligibility for benefit use is determined by the Veterans Administration. Once a student has registered and paid the applicable tuition and fees for a given term, the College will certify the student’s enrollment to the Veterans Administration, which will then pay the appropriate benefits to the student.

Continued eligibility for benefits is contingent upon the student complying with College regulations, and conformance with program of study requirements. Only courses required for degree or certificate completion are covered by VA benefit programs. Additional courses selected by the student become the financial responsibility of the student.

Advisement sessions and personal counseling are available to veterans. Interested veterans should contact the Veterans Representative at (860) 215-9235 for further information and assistance.