Donald R. Welter Library
What are the benefits of being information competent?
Information competency allows individuals to make informed, intelligent decisions in academic, professional, and personal life.
Nursing 102 Information Competencies
At the end of Nursing 102 course students will:
- Understand the organization and function of the main areas of the physical and electronic library
- Effectively use library services as reference, instruction, research support, and interlibrary loan
- AEffectively locate nursing and medical materials in the R class of the Library of Congress Classification System
- Articulate the information need related to a class assignment or research project
- Formulate and refine a research question by identifying keywords, concepts, and key phrases
- Identify and effectively use appropriate local and remote resources for retrieving, manipulating, and transferring information
- Construct an effective search strategy by using subject, author, title, and keyword search modes and Boolean operators “and”, “or” , and “not”
- Distinguish between scholarly and popular sources and and use them efficiently
- Evaluate information by using the following criteria: accuracy, authority, currency, and comprehensiveness
- Understand the concepts of “intellectual property” and “academic honesty” and use information responsibly