Donald R. Welter Library
The Reference Department strives to provide the highest level of reference services to the Three Rivers community by selecting and providing access to appropriate information resources; developing specialized instruction to teach information literacy skills; and providing the tools and knowledge necessary to access information resources in support of educational research.
The Reference Department will strive to meet the following objectives:
- Assess information literacy levels and develop instruction in multiple formats.
- Provide specialized instruction to classes according to information needs and skill levels
- Instruct and assist students and faculty in locating, evaluating and utilizing information resources
- Collaborate with faculty to further the development of information literacy for all students
- Continually update, evaluate and develop the library’s electronic and print collections to support the needs of faculty, staff and students
- Assess quality outcomes of information literacy instruction and utilize findings to guide future instruction for quality and relevance to needs of faculty and students.
- Select and provide access to a multitude of materials in various formats
The Reference Librarians are available to:
- Assist students with information needs at the point-of-need
- Collaborate with faculty to develop research guides for classes and assignments
- Provide library instruction tailored to each class upon request. Topics covered include:
- Finding and accessing reliable information
- Identifying, evaluating and utilizing different types of sources
- Developing search strategies
- Understanding and utilizing electronic database features and search methods
Direct research sessions for specialized courses to review best resources for successfully completing an assignment and assist students as they begin their research