A KEY ally of Venezuela has suddenly abandoned Nicolas Maduro – with the dictator pleading for peace talks in the face of US-led regime change.

Colombia said it would prefer the Venezuelan despot to hand over his power – recognising the looming threat of an American invasion.

A key Maduro ally has abandoned support for the dictatorCredit: EPA
The US has amassed a huge military build-up in the CaribbeanCredit: Reuters

With Donald Trump amassing a menacing military build-up on Venezuela’s doorstep, talks of a peaceful transition of government have been swirling in Washington and Caracas.

Both Trump and Maduro are yet to comment on such an arrangement.

But Colombia‘s Foreign Affairs Minister suggested the dictator would greenlight the idea – if his safety is guaranteed.

She said: “Maduro would be inclined to accept it, he could leave without necessarily ending up in prisonsomeone else could come in to lead that transition and allow for elections that are legitimate.”

AMERICAN STEEL

Trump’s biggest warship arrives in Caribbean as fears of Venezuela war loom

Caracas then hit back saying the words had been “decontextualized”.

They said Bogota “respects the sovereignty of the sister nation of Venezuela”.

Colombia also said Maduro’s safe departure would be “the healthiest option” amid surging tensions with the US.

It comes as US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth said the Pentagon would have a range of new options after designating the Cartel de los Soles a foreign terrorist organisation.

Hegseth reportedly said the move “brings a whole bunch of new options to the United States”.

The Defence Secretary also said Maduro is “not a legitimately elected leader of Venezuela” and repeated accusations that Maduro is involved in drug trafficking.

Maduro also said earlier this week he was ready to hold face-to-face crunch talks with the Don amid the growing pressure.

The comments hours after Trump said he had not ruled out deploying boots on the ground to the South American nation.

US forces have blitzed more than 20 alleged “narco boats” and killedover 80 people off the coast of Venezuela as part of Trump’s efforts to pile pressure on Maduro.

Hegseth announced the launch of Operation Southern Spear, a new mission that will target narco-terror networks across Latin America.

Though Hegseth gave no details of what the operation would entail, US officials say Southern Spear will aim to dismantle the cartel-militia networks across Venezuela.

It is the clearest signal yet that the US forces are now openly preparing for a military confrontation against Venezuela.

Trump is piling pressure on Maduro by gathering warships and bombers near VenezuelaCredit: Reuters

Strikes could target everything from army bases to drug labs, drug trafficking installations, and Maduro’s fierce guerrilla camps.

Maduro has denied the accusations, and counter accused Washington of trying to orchestrate a regime change campaign to topple him.

Last Friday Trump said he had “sort of made up my mind” on Venezuela, suggesting that a decision could come soon amid fears the US is ready to wage a war in the Caribbean.

However on Sunday, he said the US may hold last-minute crunch talks with Maduro to avoid an all-out war.

must

Jack Osbourne’s furious sister rips into ‘bully’ Kelly Brook after I’m A Celeb row

MUM PAIN

I was arrested in front of daughter for WhatsApp message, £20k won’t erase trauma

Since the outset of his second term, the Don has doubled the despot’s bounty to $50million, and carried out a spate of counternarcotic boat blitzes on vessels allegedly smuggling Venezuelan drugs to the US.

There is mounting speculation that the tyrant could be taken down by a coup from within his own circle – or even assassinated by US forces.

Trump has thrown pressure on MaduroCredit: Reuters

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *