- Academic Calendar
- Academic Departments
- Academic Support
- Assessment of Prior Learning (APL)
- Associate Degree Programs
- Certificate Programs
- College Career Pathways
- Course Descriptions
- Distance Learning
- Faculty Handbook
- Faculty Handbook - Appendix
- First Year Experience
- General Academic Information
- Scheduling Office
Surveying and Mapping Technician
Program Coordinator: Diba Khan-Bureau - 860-215-9443
This 27.5 credit certificate program is designed to provide students with entry-level skills required to fill technician jobs in the areas of measuring and mapping the earths surface and establishing official land, airspace and water boundaries. This certificate gives students the opportunity to discover the fundamentals of surveying and mapping along with the establishing foundational skills used to execute engineering calculations. This two-semester certificate consists of courses that will enable students to apply these skills in one of the fastest growing fields. Employment of surveyors and mapping technicians is expected to grow 19% from 2008 to 2018, which is faster than the average for all occupations (Bureau of Labor Statistics). Having a surveying and mapping certificate will afford students the opportunity to obtain work or continue their education to acquire an A.S. or an advanced degree. Surveying and mapping are integral in infrastructure building, all phases in construction and environmental planning and land-use in the United States today. In today's economy and in the consideration of the "new" paradigm of re-surveying and mapping the Earth this certificate is very timely.
Students may complete this certificate by completing the courses that are listed below.
SURVEYING AND MAPPING TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATE CURRICULUM
|Course ID||Title of Course||Credits|
|ARC* K241/K241L°||Site Analysis and Lab||3.5|
|CIV* K146/GIS* K146||Intro to GIS and Lab||3|
|CIV* K150/K151L°||Surveying I and Lab||4.5|
|MAT* K137°||Intermediate Algebra||3|
|CAD* K106/K107||Computer-Aided Drafting and Lab||3|
|CIV* K250/K251°||Surveying II and Lab||4.5|
|ENV* K110°||Environmental Regulations||3|
|__________ +||Directed Elective +||3|
has a prerequisite. Students should check course description.
+ Directed Electives: See advisor for course suggestions. (ARC* K214, CAD* K214/215L°, ENV* K101, ENV* K130, ENV* K295)
Surveying and Mapping Technician, Certificate
Graduates of the Surveying and Mapping Technician certificate program will:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and applied science.
- an ability to design experiments and conduct experiments as well as analyze and interpret data.
- an ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- an ability to identify and solve applied science problems.
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- an ability to communicate effectively.
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of solutions in global and societal context.
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, modern scientific and technical tools necessary for surveying and mapping practice.
- the ability to function as effective individuals.
- a recognition of the need for and the ability to engage in life-long learning.
Three Rivers Community College | 574 New London Turnpike, Norwich, CT 06360
Main Phone: (860) 215-9000 | Contact the Webmaster