International/Foreign Student (F1 Visa)


Three Rivers Community College
Admissions Office/International Students
574 New London Turnpike
Norwich, CT  06360 
FAX:    (860) 215-9902
Phone: (860) 215-9237







Student Resource

The following page provides information on how to study in the United States and how to maintain your visa status:

Foreign Student Procedures

Applicants for a student visa (F1 status) must complete the following procedures at least six weeks in advance of the semester in which they wish to enroll. Special circumstances may be considered on an individual basis.

The following documents must be submitted to the Admissions office at the above address:

  • Complete an Application Form (3 months prior to the start of classes is recommended) - Provide a valid email and include the $20.00 Application Fee (Do not send cash).
  • Proof of High School Graduation:  Attach a copy of the original diploma that certifies high school graduation.  A translation or statement of educational equivalency by an authorized official or service may be necessary. Contact the Admissions Office for more information.

Credential Evaluation Services

  • For Students Living with a Sponsor provide a notarized Affidavit of support by a sponsor who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident stating that he or she will assume responsibility for room, board and usual and emergency expenses.  If the student depends on funds from a source outside the United States, it may be necessary to determine if restrictions exist. Copies of bank statements which certify that sufficient funds are available to cover tuition, fees, and books for at least one year must also be submitted.
  • For Students Living Independently provide proof of your ability to cover educational and living expenses in U.S. currency. Copies of bank statements which certify that sufficient funds are available to cover tuition, fees, and books for at least one year must also be submitted.
  • Immunization:  Connecticut State Law requires that all full-time degree and certificate seeking students enrolled in postsecondary schools be adequately protected against measles, mumps and rubella; and varicella (chicken pox) for those born in the United States after 1979, and for all those born outside the United States. Students must have two doses of each vaccine administered at least one month apart to insure adequate immunization.  Please refer to the Immunization Form for more detailed information on this requirement.
  • English Proficiency:  Three Rivers does not provide qualified intensive English as a second language instruction.  For this reason, all international F-1 students must have sufficient proficiency in English to allow them to enroll in a full-time program, in college level courses.  All new students are required to take a computerized placement test to assess basic skills in English and mathematics and demonstrate English proficiency.  The computerized placement test or Accuplacer, as this test is known, is administered in person only at Three Rivers.
  • Placement Test:  Your email address will be the official mode of communication for scheduling the placement test.  Once your Application for Admission to the college has been processed you will receive an email on how to schedule the placement test.  An Admissions Advisor will receive a copy of your test and will contact you with your next step.  Refer to the TRCC Testing Center page for more information on this requirement.
  • Copy of Passport with expiration date including attached I-94 or If applicable, a copy of previously issued I-20.

**** Please Note ****

  • Three Rivers Community College does not have dormitories available for students.  Students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements.
  • Foreign Students on Student Visas do not qualify for Financial Aid.
  • Foreign Students on Student Visas are required to enroll in a full-time program of study each semester.

International Student Expenses

Effective Fall/Spring Semester - 2016/2017


   Living with Sponsor
Out-of-State Tuition and Fees
Living Expenses
(1 Year)
 * To be paid in two installments in August and December -
Living Independently
Out-of-State Tuition and Fees
   Living Expenses  
(1 Year)
** To be paid in two installments in August and December - $6,272.00


This office requires evidence of at least $3,500 for the support of your spouse and at least $2,000 for each dependent child per year in order to issue the visa eligibility form to your spouse.

NOTE: You must provide proof of ability to assume this financial responsibility. A bank statement will be required reflecting that the total amount is deposited in a United States bank.

*All Tuition and Fees are subject to change

Health Insurance

Lawfully present immigrants are eligible for coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace.

  • Select Get Coverage
  • Enter Connecticut to visit the State Marketplace.

Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (I-20), you’ll need your SEVIS ID from your document.

I-20 Certificates of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status are the documents that support applications for student visa statuses (F-1s or F-2s). Enter the SEVIS ID number, which is located at the top, right-hand side of the document.

Filing Taxes in the U.S.

Are you approved to work? Income you earn in the United States must be reported to the government. Have you received scholarship money or a grant from your school? In both of these instances, you are required to file and pay taxes as an international student studying in the United States.

For detailed information about filing taxes in the U.S. refer to the following website: