More About Us »
Senior citizens, veterans, and members of the National Guard may be eligible for tuition and fee waivers as described below.
Senior Citizens: Tuition, college service fee, student activity fee, and the application fee are waived for students 62 years of age and over who wish to register for state-supported (General Fund) courses on a space available basis. Summer and Winter inter-session courses are not included. Special fees, including course lab fees and art studio fees, must still be paid by the student.
Senior citizens who wish to take advantage of the waiver may register in
person during the last week of fall and spring registration or at other
times publicized by the College. Those requesting a waiver shall
present verification of date of birth.
Connecticut Tuition Waiver
Tuition is waived for:
Veterans who are residents of the state of Connecticut and wish to take state-supported (General Fund) courses.
- Children of a Vietnam-era veteran declared a POW or MIA, provided that the parent entered the service after January 1, 1960 and was a Connecticut resident upon entry or while serving in the Armed Forces.
- Veterans from other states who establish residency through marriage to a Connecticut resident during the Vietnam-era as defined above.
For purposes of identifying eligible veterans, Connecticut has adopted the Federal war service definition (U.S. Code 38 USC 101, as amended). Service periods include:
- Mexican border period
- Spanish-American War
- World Wars I and II
- Korean conflict
- Persian Gulf War (August 2, 1990 until a date prescribed by the President or law)
- Periods beginning on the date of any future congressional declaration of war and ending on the date prescribed by the presidential proclamation or concurrent resolution of Congress.
Note: Because the Persian Gulf War is still in progress, veterans currently serving or who have served at least 90 days any time between August 2, 1990 and the date the Persian Gulf War ends are eligible for war service benefits.
Connecticut continues to recognize certain smaller conflicts that are not included in the Federal definition:
- Lebanon conflict (7/1/58 to 11/1/58 Combat or combat support role only)
- Peacekeeping mission in Lebanon (9/29/82 to 3/30/84)
- Invasion of Grenada (10/25/83 to 12/15/83)
- Operation Earnest Will (escort of Kuwaiti oil tankers 2/1/87 to 7/23/87)
- Invasion of Panama (12/20/89 to 1/31/90)
To use the waiver, students must present proof of service plus proof of
residency to the Cashier upon registration. Proof of residency may be
established using rent receipts, tax bills, voter registration cards, or
other documentation showing residence in Connecticut.
Connecticut National Guard
Tuition is waived for any eligible member of the Connecticut Army or Air National Guard who wishes to register for state-supported (General Fund) courses.
To be eligible for such a waiver, a member of the Connecticut Army or Air National Guard must: (1) be a resident of Connecticut; (2) present certification by the Adjutant General or his designee as a member in good standing of the Guard; and (3) be enrolled or accepted for admission to a community college on a full-time or part-time basis in a degree granting program.
The tuition waiver shall be reduced by the amount of any educational reimbursement received from an employer.
Three Rivers Community College | 574 New London Turnpike, Norwich, CT 06360
Main Phone: (860) 215-9000 | Contact the Webmaster