Continuing Education & Community Services
Where Learning Works!
EKG Technician (WIA Approved )
This comprehensive 50 hour EKG Technician Certification Program prepares students to function as EKG Technicians in a variety of healthcare settings. This course will include important practice and background information on anatomy of the heart and physiology, medical disease processes, medical terminology, medical ethics, legal aspects of patient contact, the Holter monitor, electrocardiography and echocardiography.
Students will practice with equipment and perform hands-on labs including introduction to the function and proper use of the EKG machine, the normal anatomy of the chest wall for proper lead placement, 12-lead placement and other clinical practices. EKG Technicians also analyze printed readings of EKG tests, measuring various “cardiac intervals and complexes” and determining normal vs. abnormal EKG.
Course topics include:
- Function of the EKG Department in a variety of settings
- Introduction to medical terminoloy
- Care & safety of patients, medical & legal aspects
- Anatomy of the heart, conduct ion system, circulation of the heart and blood vessels
- Electrical conduction system of the heart
- Cardiac cycle (electric system)
- EKG strip analysis (P, Q, R, S, T wave form interpretation)
- Normal sinus rhythm, sinus bradycardis, sinus tachycardia
- Basic EKG interpretation, troubleshooting, tracing problems
- Preparing a patient for EKG
- 12 lead EKGS, placement, interpretation and troubleshooting
Salary* $30,082 - $38,229
Resource:U.S. Bureau of Labor
Career Description + Lifestyle
EKG Technicians work in physician offices, hospitals, clinics, and other health care facilities and organizations. EKG Technicians also work for insurance companies to establish health and life insurance policies. Similar to other growing helathcare professions, the demand for EKG Technicians is expect to continue to grow substantially.
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSE
The EKG Technician Certification Program includes a graded final exam to help prepare students for the ASPT – EKG Technician Exam in addition to other National Certification Exams.
Hot Links »
Related Links »
Three Rivers Community College | 574 New London Turnpike, Norwich, CT 06360
Main Phone: (860) 886-0177 | Contact the Webmaster